KidKat💕: PPROM Pregnancy

Soo, it’s (shamefully) almost been about two years since I’ve actively blogged. But I am back and with exciting news…….drum roll please….I’m expecting a little baby girl  💖!

At first, I wanted this whole experience to be as private as possible, completely stress-free and blissful.

However, with everything that’s happened (and still happening), I realized how important it is to get as much detailed information out there as possible. Hopefully, it helps a mommy-to-be out there who’s going through the same thing!


**Caution! Some of the information detailed may be considered graphic**


The Diagnosis:

I was 16 weeks pregnant when I suspected my water broke. At first, I thought the baby pushed on my bladder and I wet the bed (’cause who’s water breaks this early?). However, the first thing I noticed was the fluids didn’t smell like urine. Next, I still felt like I had the urge to use the bathroom, despite the fluids still dripping.

I called a nurse at my hospital and asked if there was a possibility my water could have broke. She advised it was possible and that I should go to the emergency room right away to confirm.

Emotionally, I wasn’t sure how to feel. I just remember being scared because obviously this wasn’t common, and being as I never heard of this situation happening before, I had no idea what it all meant.

When I got to the hospital, they ordered a urine sample, blood test, ultrasound, and transvaginal ultrasound to determine if I was leaking amniotic fluid (the fluid that’s released when your water breaks). The tests came back and confirmed my amniotic sac had been ruptured and there was little to no amniotic fluid left for my baby.


Diagnosis: Preterm Premature Rupture of the Membranes (PPROM)

An uncommon pregnancy complication in which the “water breaks” before 37 weeks of pregnancy.

My Stats:

  • Occurred at 16 weeks and 2 days
  • Fluid Level (@ 16 weeks): <1.6 cm
  • Baby’s Survival Rate: <10%


My mom was with me when we received the test results. The first doctor we spoke with confirmed I lost a lot (if not all) my amniotic fluid and stated she was sorry for our loss…at which point I think I lost all cognitive function and just shut down completely. Nothing else in the entire world mattered at that moment, I just felt broken and lost beyond words.

In retrospect, the doctor continued on to say that the baby was actually fine, but they had to induce labor because there would be no way the baby would survive. For the record, the last thing she mentioned was she was not an OB-GYN and therefore couldn’t answer any questions we may have (which should have been made clear from the beginning).

**Side Note: I wanted to put emphasis on this conversation for the women who may go, or are going through, this same situation. After doing research on PPROM, my mom and I have found that some doctors will tell women there is no chance their baby can survive and that delivering the baby is your only option: This is NOT TRUE!**

After waiting about 4-5 hours in total, the doctor we’ve been in communication with said there was no OB-GYN doctors available at the hospital we were in, but there were a few available at a nearby hospital. Thankfully, we chose to leave.


The Plan:

To condense this portion of the story, my new doctors (OB-GYNs) advised that since the risks of infection for both baby and mom are significantly increased after a woman’s water breaks, the likelihood of baby’s survival dramatically decreases. They advised my baby would have a less than 10% chance of survival. (This was incredibly emotional for us, but I will say regardless of everything: a 10% chance sounded a hell of lot better than a 0% chance).

They gave me the following three options:

  • Induce Labor – the doctors said if I opt to induce labor my baby wouldn’t survive, but I’d be able to hold my little one and there would be no risk of infection for myself.
  • Surgically Abort – the doctors said they would put me under anesthesia and remove the baby via suction. No risk of infection to myself, but I wouldn’t be able to hold my baby.
  • Continue the Pregnancy – the doctors said I could absolutely opt to continue the pregnancy as long as I’m aware of the risks and follow a very strict regimen to detect any signs of infection as early as possible.


I don’t think words can even attempt to explain the level of heartbreak and emptiness we felt listening to the doctors explain the options. I just remember wishing I could just wake up from this nightmare and never look back. But the story gets better, I promise.

Despite me being an emotional basket-case, we wholeheartedly chose to continue the pregnancy. The doctors then gave me the following instructions to help decrease the risk of infection:

  • Immediate Bed Rest – that meant no work, no school, no walking around in stores; strictly to remain in bed (save for going to the restroom and eating).
  • Monitor Temperature (twice daily) – they advised a fever is a huge indicator of an infection, which would need to be addressed immediately. They mentioned at that point, since the baby wouldn’t be viable at 16 weeks, the priority would be my health.
  • Routine Doctor Visits (weekly) – I would see my doctor every week to check my temperature, blood pressure, weight, and also for a pelvic exam to check to see my cervix is still closed.
  • Drink Fluids – staying hydrated reduces the risks of infection.
    • ALSO, one study I’ve read indicated that drinking adequate amounts of water may increase the level of amniotic fluid for the baby. This is extremely beneficial!!
    • Here’s a link to an article with some helpful tips on staying hydrated during pregnancy: Mustela


The Goal:

After agreeing to the regimen and scheduling all the doctor’s visits in advance, the doctors let me know that if I can reach 23-24 weeks, they would be do everything in their power to save my baby.

Although I never received a guarantee and was well aware of all the risks, I swear, it still felt like a truck had been lifted from my chest. At that moment, all I needed to know was that my baby was fine: no signs of distress and a strong heartbeat. That was enough.


Daily Symptom Log:

In short, I’m going to cut out the story format for the remainder of the blog, just so it’s easier to follow while still providing details expecting moms might want to know.

I took a log of my symptoms throughout this journey, starting from the day after my water broke.

  • Day 1 – continued to leak fluid, average fatigue, no other significant changes, no signs of fever
  • Day 2/3 – cramping (similar to mild/average period cramps) lower abdomen (around ovaries), continued to leak fluid, fatigue; no signs of fever
  • Day 4 – abnormal discharge (possible indicator of infection), cramping, less fatigue, no signs of fever
    • Went to ER due to possible indicator of infection:
      • Tests: pelvic exam and blood test
      • Results: cervix was closed and no signs of infection
  • Day 6 – same symptoms as Day 4, including mild cramping
    • First check-up visit with OB:
      • Tests: pelvic exam and heartbeat check
      • Results: cervix was closed and baby’s heartbeat was just under 170 bpm
  • Day 7-12 – cramping stopped completely, discharge continued, no additional leaking, no signs of infection/fever
  • Day 13 – bleeding (possible indication of miscarriage), mild cramping, discharge continued
    • Second check-up visit with OB/Went to ER prior to appointment due to possible indication of miscarriage:
      • Tests: pelvic exam, blood test, urine test, heartbeat check, ultrasound
      • Results: cervix was closed, no signs of infection, baby’s heartbeat was around 150 bpm, baby moved during ultrasound 🥰; no cause of bleeding detected
  • Day 14 – bleeding stopped, cramping stopped, discharge continued, mild fatigue, no signs of fever, began taking prenatal gummies to substitute prescribed prenatal pills
  • Day 15 – no significant changes in symptoms
    • Blood test results (taken on Day 13): Screen Positive for Neural Tube Defects
    • Discussed with doctor over the phone, results indicated less than 1% chance of occurring; doctors advised they will monitor closely
  • Day 20 – no significant changes from Day 15-20
    • Third check-up visit with OB:
      • Tests: (standard tests) weight, blood pressure, temperature
      • Results: no signs of infection
      • Updated Game Plan: agreed to admission into hospital for 48 hours to administer latency antibiotics through IV; (8 doses of antibiotics every 6 hours)
  • Day 25 – no significant changes in symptoms from Day 20-25
    • Felt baby move for the first time! 😍 (20 weeks)
  • Day 26 – no significant changes
    • Admitted in to Hospital:
      • Tests: one blood test, 8 recordings of blood pressure and temperate (prior to every dose of antibiotics)
      • Results: no signs of infection
      • Antibiotics administered through IV every 6 hours for 48 hours
  • Day 27 – no significant changes
    • Fourth check-up visit with OB:
      • Test(s): Ultrasound (check for possible birth defects, baby’s growth, measure amniotic fluid, gender)
      • Results: no signs of birth defects, baby’s weight: approx. 13 oz. (healthy weight, slightly above average), amniotic fluid level: approx. 1.2 cm, could not determine gender (not enough fluid for accurate reading, baby’s position not optimal)
      • Updated Game Plan: agreed to admission into hospital upon reaching 23 weeks of pregnancy, will remain admitted until birth of the baby
  • Day 28 – abnormal discharge stopped, no signs of infection, no other significant changes
    • Discharged from hospital
      • Instructions: oral antibiotics, take every 8 hours for 5 days
    • Visit to Genetic Counselor:
      • Test(s): blood test (NIPT), testing for down syndrome and other birth defects, gender testing
  • Day 29 – significant bleeding, mild cramping (similar to period cramps) lower abdomen (around ovaries), lower back pain, no signs of infection/fever, 
    • Decided not to go in to hospital in hopes bleeding would stop
  • Day 30 – bleeding did not stop, cramping slightly more painful, lower back pain
    • Went to ER due to possible indication of miscarriage
      • Tests: blood tests (white blood count to rule out infection), pelvic exam, heartbeat check
      • Results: no signs of infection, cervix was still closed, baby’s heartbeat was around 150 bpm; discharged, no cause of bleeding detected
  • Day 31-32 – bleeding slightly less than Day 29, no discharge or additional fluids leaking, no cramping/lower back pain
    • Results received from NIPT blood test: negative for down syndrome and other birth defects, gender: girl 💟!!
  • Today (Day 33) – slight bleeding (more pink/light red), very mild cramping, slight lower back pain (could be due to sleeping position)

My Stats:

  • Currently: 21 weeks (as of Day 33)
  • Fluid Level (@ 20 weeks): 1.2 cm
  • Baby’s Gender: Girl 💟 (via NIPT, Non-Invasive Prenatal Testing)
  • Baby’s Weight (@ 20 weeks): approx. 13 oz.


  • Next Check-Up Visit with OB: Day 34
  • Final Check-Up Visit with OB: Day 40
  • Days until 23 weeks: 14 days (Day 47)


As of today, the battle is still ongoing, but there’s been so much positivity and hope around us, it’s made it so much easier to let go of the fear and be optimistic.

Thus far, it’s been as though we’ve experienced everything between impossible to miracle. And although there were (and still may be) countless scares and mini emotional breakdowns, I’m in love with my little one and I wouldn’t trade this experience for anything.

Now, I know this might sound like a commercial, but seriously, if you or anyone you know is going through this journey, don’t hesitate to reach out. I’d love to answer any questions or even just be there for additional support 💝.


Kat B.

5 thoughts on “KidKat💕: PPROM Pregnancy

  1. Such an encouraging story. God bless you and Kidkat for bringing awareness to this condition. You are such an inspiration. Keep the faith and prayers. Love you always!!! Titi Carmen

    Liked by 2 people

Leave a Reply to Titi Carmen Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s